Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Celebration of Life

Its summer.  I know thats obvious, especially the last couple days in Iowa when temps and head indeces are over the top.  Yesterday, for instance, I took some time to go to the annual J & P Cycles Open House. After all, whats 40 miles to a biker right?  By the time I got home I felt like the Thanksgiving Turkey in the deep fryer.  If I could have I would have rode darn near naked back home, but thats just not right.  There would be too many scarred eyeballs out there if they ever looked at my hide in the buff!


I did get a chance to shake hands with a legend yesterday.  Arlen Ness, custom bike builder and pretty much everything motorcycle, Arlen took time to be a part of the Open House yesterday.  As luck would have it, I shook his hand, thanked him generously for coming, and tried to let him cool off a bit, for as hot as it was outside, it was even worse inside.  He took it in stride, however, and took as many breaks as he could.  I have read about his motorcycles since my navy days, and some of his designs are just breathtaking.  His son, Cory, was there as well, and has become a master custom bike builder in his own right.  Both men were extremely generous with the crowds, and showed a lot of patience dealing with the heat.  If only I were that patient!!!


A couple weeks ago my wife and I celebrated an anniversary.  June 13th to be exact.  For some folks its another year and maybe another day to remember, but for us this marked our 25th year of marriage.  It is a big milestone for us, in part because we have had those who felt our marriage would not last, in part because we have made a number of mistakes in our marriage which might cause ordinary folks to go screaming for medication, and in part because even we had our doubts from time to time.  Our resolve and our dedication to each other won out, and it has given us newfound admiration and love for each other.  We will celebrate this year with more love and devotion, but we celebrate cautiously optimistic for our future.  We have had many downs and not many ups, but through it all we have remained steadfastly devoted to each other and to our lives as a couple.  In this day and age, 25 years seems to be a rare accomplishment.  I hope that others can find the same love Mary and I share, for it is indeed a true gift from God!


Stay Cool folks - Have a Happy Fourth of July, and may we honor our independence safely!!!

1 comment:

  1. Boomer, congrats to you and yours for making the 25 year mark. That is a mighty proud accomplishment to be able to say. Here's to another milestone for you both and all those nay sayers can go suck rotten eggs right. lol

    Happy fourth of July to you.

    ReplyDelete