Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Few Notes To Get Started

Lately I have been rather obsessed or maybe just more attuned to life on my motorcycle. Its the sort of thing that once it gets into your blood, into your heart, you never want to let it go. For some its no matter how old you are, for others maybe just more of a statement of character. For me it has been a bit of a dream getting to this point. I never owned my own motorcycle, but depended on others to supply the ride. My parents never really cared much for motorcycles, but, as a young boy growing up I became rather fascinated by these 2 wheeled machines. That is, until I discovered girls.



I make no promises to any audience here in this blog of my intentions. I am not doing this as any sort of political agenda, nor am I making attempts to post any sort of other religious or moral views. I make this blog as a way for me to see the world as I ride, to make observations and note those things which affect us in a positive way while riding. I also will note any of those not so positive things that I see as a way to balance the scales, to ensure that my observations and notings are balanced and fair. Too often I see opinions take on a sort of poignant demeanor almost to a fault. My blog is more intended to be more self therapeutic.


A bit about me. I was born in St. Joseph, Michigan. My life as a child in Michigan seemed quiet enough until I was taken from my parents by court order in 1971 and placed into foster care, which, as those things go, was not pleasant. After being formally adopted a few years later, I was moved to Arkansas and then on to Oregon, where I finished high school and joined the navy. I married in 1985 to Mary, who has been at my side for the last 24 years. We have two daughters ages 14 and 21. Currently I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa working for the Department of Transportation. I also run a contract business out of my home helping to design residential subdivisions for a local developer. My hobbies include astronomy, music, motorcycles, and racing. I also enjoy cooking, although my wife tends to be the better cook than I.




My motorcycle is a 2004 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic. I bought it used, in part because I did not want to come out of the box after many years with a new bike. While it may not be the best motorcycle on the market it runs well and handles OK. For me its a great starter bike if you want to learn the basics of riding and maintaining a larger motorcycle. It is not customized, as many bikes may be. Some folks can afford that, but for me, I cannot imagine putting a custom paint job on a big motorcycle only to see your investment all scraped up from someone running you off the road. If you ever want to see a grown man cry, scrape up a custom bike. I have owned this bike for about a year, and in that year I have been able to observe places and events I would never see in a car. Last fall, as a for instance, it was just as the fall colors were in full bloom. It was a wonderful day for a ride, and off I went. As I was riding along one of the many two lane county routes north of town, I came up on a field recently harvested of corn, and saw 3 large male bald eagles standing "guard" over the field. I had never been that close, and in the three or so seconds I saw them I realized that I could see and experience what no car or truck could ever let me see. Since I bought this bike, I have been on a few organized rides, but mostly ride by myself. Riding alone has advantages and disadvantages, but mostly I need the break. As I ride and continue to ride I will post my observations from time to time, in the hopes that I can take my observations and turn them into a means of reflecting on the ride, life, maybe even drawing some inner wisdom from it all. To that end, comments are welcome, however, please do so respectfully and positively.


Best Regards,


Boomer

2 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog using the next blog feature at the top. It caught my eye since this was your first blog post, and you posted it today. Welcome to the blogging community. Best wishes for your blog, and your bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Hope to figure it out a bit better, but My wife thought it was the only way to record my observations. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete