Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Observations and Loss of A Great Teacher

I was going to skip today posting something, except today is not an ordinary day. Today we lost a great teacher, coach, friend, and in light of what happened today, I wanted to write about this in a way that everyone can relate to.



I went to high school in Aloha, Oregon, a suburb of Portland. I was not the best of students, in fact, as most boys were, I was more interested in girls, pizza, video games, and other such nocturnal activities of the average teenager. I never did get the best of grades, probably in part because I never REALLY tried. I still have a copy of my grades yet today. Showed them to my kids a few years ago, so that they could find a bit more motivation to succeed where I had not. I spent a large portion of my time listening to all the classic bands....Van Halen, Journey, Rush, ACDC you name it. Played trombone in school. I thought I was good, but maybe not as good as some of the others.



As a senior, my worst subject in school was English, or Language Arts as they call it today. How to write effectively using our native language. I guess I was more prone to algebra and history. As a senior, my thoughts began turning to moving my life into adulthood, so motivation was not as good as it could be, until I took Writing 120. This class was taught by Mrs. May. I cannot remember her first name, but I do remember she was about 4 foot9 and held a stern discontent for many of us who simply didnt care for school. I tried and tried to get good marks in her class, in part because I needed to know that I COULD get better marks, but her class was just very difficult. I remember the term I took the course, my last as a student, and I remember the third day of class we were given our assignment for the term. Write a term paper, so many pages long, typed (yikes-we only had an old 1960 typewriter then!) and double spaced. Due two weeks before graduation. We all have had these kinds of assignments, but the first few weeks I just was not as motivated as I could have been.



I remember the last month of the course I was struggling to get down on paper my thoughts on the book I had used. I forget the book, but I remember it was a World War 2 romance book. I had hoped for something more along the lines of a heros novel relating to the defeat of the German Army, but instead this book was written more for the romantic. I worked and worked and toiled. Finally I had my rough draft, my final rough draft before the final term paper. I thought I was home free, ready to graduate. Right?



About two days before the final paper was due, my dad got a call. It was Mrs. May. I sweated and toiled, but knew my goose was cooked. I was not doing well in the class and the paper was my only hope. After 20 minutes on the phone, my dad called me upstairs, the dreaded 'I am in trouble now' feeling sweeping over me like rain over the road. He explained that Mrs May was concerned that if I didn't get at least a B+ my grade for the course would be in jeopardy. She had asked my dad to look over my draft and see if I could rewrite it. As I handed my dad the paper I knew I was in for a LONG night. All I remember him saying was "This paper is ok, but your ideas are mixed up and you can do better". It took me four hours to rewrite the entire paper and get my ideas working in a way that made the entire paper work. Once my dad read that draft, all he said was "FANTASTIC - Get it retyped!".



It took me most of the night, from about 11 PM to after 3 AM to retype the entire paper double spaced. I handed it in the next day, came home, and collapsed in bed after dinner. I had no idea what kind of conversation Mrs. May had with my dad, but I did know that I had busted my tail in every direction getting that paper done.



As I heard the news today about Coach Ed Thomas, I was reminded of that day, when a teacher, who was one of the hardest teachers in the school, who was not among the most friendly of people, took the time for ME, to teach me in a way I never understood until I had kids of my own. I remember that she took the time to talk about how to be a better person, and how to strive to make everything you do the best it can be. I remember that she called from her home to talk to my parents, and what she said to my dad helped my dad to motivate me in a very positive and personal way. It is a lesson that has stood the test of my life, and to this day I hope that I can give my thanks to her for giving me that little extra. And as for the grade. I got an A+ on the paper and passed her course with a C. To this day I remind myself of that lesson, even with my own kids.



As for Coach Thomas. I never knew Coach Thomas. I didnt grow up here in Iowa. I do know that he was one of the most influential people in Iowa. He motivated all people with his enthusiasm for life. He taught not just athletes but children of all walks to be respectful, to cherish life, to be driven in whatever pursuit makes you happy. His life was cut much too short. For me, Coach Thomas will live on in the example he set for his students, the faculty, and the community of Parkersburg. As I rode my motorcycle today, I remembered the people who motivated me, from Mrs May to Mr Barnes, to some of my dearest friends. I give thanks that each in their own way have contributed to my successes and my wisdom. I thank each of them for their knowledge, understanding, and commitment to helping me grow and prosper in our community. I hope that we all give thanks to those who have given us time taught us nurtured us in some small way. Pray that the family of Coach Thomas can find healing and strength, and pray that the community of Parkersburg will find comfort in the knowledge that Coach Thomas will live on in the students, friends, and family he loved and taught thru his example and his wisdom.



Regards,

Boomer

No comments:

Post a Comment