Friday, October 1, 2010

Gettin' the Gloves Off


You know, there are some things in life that chaff my ass.  Yes I am going to be downright blunt.  There are some things that just irritate me like bird crap on my Harley.  I am a pretty patient guy, but lately I have been getting some signals that I am not welcome in certain places.  Take, for instance, the attorney's office I visited recently.  I went in all dressed up (hey - Levis and a sport shirt is dressed up to me!), checked in with the secretary, only to discover my appointment was canceled.  "Excuse me - why?" and the response "I don't know".  After a bit of wrangling we got it straight, met with the attorney for a couple hours, and left with some information I needed to resolve a dispute.  I don't care if you are personal assistant to Billy Gates or Mr. Barack H. Obama, if I make an appointment, my time is just as valuable, if not more so than yours.


Melissa - after a nice long bubble bath
This particular rant begins in another place.  Let it never be said that I am not one that narrows his vision on one thing.  Take my Harley (Melissa!).  I have wanted a Harley since before Gerald Ford was president.  That being said, you never know what might come at you, and I actually looked over a couple other non Harley models a few weeks back.  It is amazing to see what different manufacturers come up with, and its neat just to study them.  Unfortunately, there are a few select individuals who seriously need some Ex Lax in their feedbag.  Take, for instance, the guy at the drug store the other day who began staring at me while I was mounting up to go home. "You Harley guys are too obnoxious".  Excuse me?  Where did THAT come from?  Whatever - then I must be obnoxious because I ride a Harley, right?


Chrome.  Gotta have lots and lots of Chrome!!
Then there was the two younger "ladies" and I use that term loosely, who decided to walk right in front of me while I was trying to pull out of a gas station after I had gassed up Melissa.  They kept walking right in front of me and kept glancing back knowing I wanted around them.  When they got to the end of the entrance they stopped effectively blocking me from leaving.  They didn't look a day over about 20 (I got an ingrown toenail that's older than that!) and I am not sure if it was the Harley or my leather jacket, but after I got around them, they decided to give me the "Hawaiian Peace" sign. 

A few days ago I went to the bank to deposit a check I had been waiting for awhile.  Another one of those "private" surveys I had drawn up for a business associate had been completed, and all I wanted to do was put my money in the bank.  I filled out the deposit slip, walked up to the teller, leather jacket on, and she asks if I was on that "noisy Harley" she heard pull up.  "Well, yes now that you mention it I did"....to which she responded "Why can't you Harley guys tone it down".  Tone what down? "Every Harley I hear is so darn loud and those guys are all tattooed and obnoxious".  HUH?  About that time the head teller took over, handed me my receipt, and thanked me for the business.  Not sure I heard the last part ma'am!

My personal message about Breast Cancer Awareness
For my Aunt Barb who survived that horrible disease!
The more I ride my Heritage, the more I get the "impression" that just because I ride a Harley, just because I OWN A HARLEY, means I MUST be one of "those" guys. Lets set the record straight.  I ride a Harley because its what I like.  It fits me and my lifestyle.  It holds fond memories of looking through all those biker mags every time I came home from sea.  It wasn't the "Playboy" mag I took with me on that submarine - it was a stack of bike mags.  I tried other models, and some of them seemed ok, but for my riding experience, nothing beats a Harley.  I work two jobs to make a living to pay for the things I love, Now I am guilty by association just because I own a Harley.  BAH HUMBUG! 


Anyone who is narrow minded enough to believe that ALL Harley guys are rabble rousing law breaking obnoxious one percenters have never been on a Patriot Guard ride.  Never attended a military funeral on a bike.  Never sent off young men and women to war.  I have met teachers, engineers, police officers, firefighters, doctors, some of the most hard working honest decent people on those Harley's who give their time freely to such causes as breast cancer awareness, Toys for Tots, and Coats for Kids.  It is so amazing to see someone pull up behind you on the side of the road just to ask if everything was ok.  Some of the friendliest folks you want to ever meet can be found on a Harley.  How anyone can make the assumption that a guy on a Harley must be up to no good needs to remember one thing "Judge Not - Lest YE BE JUDGED".


That sure felt good.  Peace and Love everybody!

2 comments:

  1. Jeez man, I thought that stuff was pretty long gone. Back in 1984 on a Friday I drove to work in my truck. I was in sales in an Aluminum Extruding company in Georgia. At lunch I drove home to switch to my H-D so I could go for a ride after work. On the way home I stopped in a store to get some gas before going home and was greeted with a smile and thank you. At home thirty minutes later I changed into my bluejeans after eating, grabbed my leathet jacket and helmet then headed back to work. Stopped at the same store to gas the bike and went inside to pay and their attitude was different. Took my money, didn't say a thing and stared at me while I left the store. I can also remember old ladies locking their car doors when beside them at traffic lights, as if I was going to jump off my bike and assault them or something right there in traffic. It's funny now looking back at those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all wonder why there are so many problems in this world what with racism, discrimination, and other such hate nonsense, but DAMN man.....its a Harley - it isnt Bin Laden for cripes sake! The attorneys visit was a classic example in part, because when I wanted my parking ticket validated, they asked if that was my Harley. When I told them yes it was, the secretary got all huffy and told me they couldn't validate my ticket. After I left I emailed the attorney whom I just spoke with, and she cleared it up, but geez! Its a Harley. Why is this so damn tough? I put my pants on the same way everybody else does. I am NOT after your mother, your sister, or your bank account. It just reminds me how narrowminded some folks still are.

    ReplyDelete