Thursday, November 11, 2010

An Affair of the Heart


The flags flying through the
\fall colors at my office.
It's Veterans Day today.  When we all give thanks to those who have served our country's military services in one form or another. When we should all take pause for just a moment, turn to a veteran near you, and just say "Thanks for your service!".  Oh if it were all THAT simple.  I served in the navy at a time when nuclear weapons protesters were shouting obscenities at me on occasion, maybe pointing out my family lineage in ways I never knew, or just making a scene just to make a scene. I never wanted to serve for attention, but that kind of attention I could just as soon do without.  I really don't talk too much about my service, because all I really did was stand my watch - nothing more, but today I got several "Thank You's" and I really feel a little embarrassed by it all.  There are PLENTY of men and women who HAVE served who are much more deserving of a Thank You than I am or ever will be.  If I had actually been shot at or commanded men in battle that might be one thing, but babysitting a bunch of nuclear weapons on a ballistic missile submarine isn't exactly the cornerstone of an exciting military career!  My brother, however, is much more deserving of a Thank You, so from me to you bro - Thank You for your service!

My wife Mary
Deep in thought about how to keep me in line!
Its been a rather stressful few weeks.  I am the only man left standing in my department at work, and trying to do the work for the entire department is proving to be a bit of a strain.  Mary and I both have been fighting off the flu bug.  To top it off, Mary, my wife, went into a cardiac care facility for a heart catheterization the other day.  And this was not something that we were exactly expecting.  In fact, she was almost rushed into the care unit because her symptoms were almost indicating she was close to a heart attack.  GULP!  Try as I might to keep cool, that sort of test is not exactly what I would call normal.  ANYTHING that involves the heart is always a bit tricky - I don't care what doctor says what.  Prayers were said, calls made, and in we went.  We spent pretty much most of the day in the cardiac unit.  Doctors even told us if they found blockages what to expect.  Stents might be used, or even bypass surgery was a possible option.  In the end, all the thoughts and prayers from everyone won out, and as it turns out, there were no blockages of any kind.  Not even a burp.  To say THAT coming just before the holiday season - what a wonderful blessing to receive knowing at least your loving spouse who has been your lover for over 25 years has a clean set of pipes.  COOL.

Mary and I earlier this year
Thanksgiving is fast approaching.  My riding time is now almost at a standstill.  I did take some time today to go to the airport as part of a Welcome Home for a Marine returning from his tour in Afghanistan, but apparently this Marine missed his connecting flight home, so the airline put him on stand-by.  Tell me - what stupid airline puts a returning war hero on stand by??  Here is a Marine who hasn't been home in several months, and when he gets to the states....to HOME, they put him on stand-by.  I have my own opinions about such people, but repeating those feelings might get a little rough...stupid third rate jerks!  On the bright side, I put in some riding time last weekend.  Just took off, got lost, roamed around aimlessly through the countryside.  Not a care in the world.  That's the way to ride!  Some of my best praying times come like that.  Lately I have been trying to come up with a plan for a motorcycle trip to Wyoming next summer.  Actually, I have been plotting this trip for many years, but just didn't have the motorcycle yet.  I have the route planned, sort of, but its time to start figuring out some of the logistics, getting some much needed replacement parts on the bike, losing a few more pounds, finding some bike bags, stuff like that.  I am sure it will happen at some point, its just a matter of putting it all together.

Life has a funny way of tossing you rotten eggs.  Its how you deal with the crap that helps build the character of a person.  I suppose I could have run off and gotten all mentally irregular over Marys health issue that came up, but it never would have solved anything.  I could easily start beating down brick walls over my frustrations at work.  Maybe even put in for a rubber room reservation over some of the obstacles thrown in our path this whole year.  Anymore, it doesn't hardly faze me I guess.  Not sure if its some sort of "maturity" thing, or that I just don't care to get that excited about it.  Its been nearly two years ago I jumped on the wagon as it were.  For the most part I have been doing ok, not having hardly a wee dram of Guinness to quench my thirst, but the last month or so I have had a night or two of indulgence.  A glass of 15 year old scotch can be a wonderful thing, in moderation.  I found that I didn't need those Friday nights like I thought I did, but after awhile, I still had an occasional craving, so I caved.  A friend told me that just going as long as I did without a drop had a positive effect on me.  There have been many challenges this year, a lot of forks in the road, and sometimes a little cow pie in my eye from time to time.  In my mind - just wash the crap off, and get ready for the next manure truck!!!

Peace and Love Everybody - Its time for the holidays!!!


MY ultimate dream bike- The Harley Davidson
Elctra-Glide Ultra Limited. 




1 comment: