Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Giving Thanks!

South Haven Lighthouse
taken November 26
Thanksgiving has passed, and I have returned to my blogging duties.  Needed some time to collect my thoughts and maybe think about those things I am thankful for.  We seem to be getting into a bit of a family tradition at Castel de Atwood at the Glen Allegan. Almost sounds like a scotch, but truthfully its always neat to see the family, but sometimes it would be great to meet up more than once.  Unfortunately my schedule gets so jammed, but as I was reminded....its really no excuse.  I am terrible at breaking away and spending time with those I SHOULD be spending time with.  Its that work thing where I am compelled to work hard and make something of myself.  Like the heading of my blog, I am trying to point my life in a new and positive direction.  I just have to quit saying and start doing!



Mary Lou -
my wife of 25 years
During our few days visit, I gave some thought to some of the things I am thankful for this year.  I mean, one penny just won't cut it!  I do have a lot to be thankful for.  Health. For both my wife and I.  Even my folks looked very well.  Life.  That I able able to live my life in a country that values life. Employment.  Thats a biggie around these parts lately.  Love.  That there are people that love me for who I am (even though I sometimes may not show it back as often).  Blessing.  That I have a warm comfortable home, dependable transportation, yes even my Harley is a blessing, food on the table, clean clothes, and the tools I need to live my life.  Family.  That they support the direction my life is heading, and being secure enough in the knowledge that they are there for me when I need them as much as I am there for them should they need me.  Safety.  That we have men and women serving both home and abroad, keeping us all safe from all enemies, both foreign and domestic, and that they have written that check payable to the United States, at a cost of their life.  While I am not maybe the wealthiest person in terms of monetary or physical possessions, the gifts I have inside me as well as those around me are what make me rich!

Jesse and Cheyenne
Our two daughters
I took some time before I left for one last ride on Melissa.  Went up to J&P Cycles to get a full face helmet.  At the time I had this crazy thought of riding Melissa over to Thanksgiving, but those temps just got colder than expected.  I did learn I can ride in sub 30 degree temps, but I need some better gloves.  My gloves, even with the fleece lining, are terrible!  I need some heated gloves or at least some heated grips.  That would make a huge difference, but those are both rather spendy items.  The ride up was colder than coming back.  On the way home, I stopped at a christian bookstore and picked up a little birthday gift for Jesse, our daughter.  Nothing like waltzing thru a christian bookstore in full Harley leathers, eh?  Had one gentleman ask me if I was lost, another asked me if I had enough sense to find my way to a warmer climate.  As I left I could almost sense my Guardian Angels laughing hysterically.

Funny-those don't LOOK like
Notre Dame colors!

Soon I will be preparing Melissa for her yearly hibernation.  I make no qualms about how much I HATE not riding.  Like the saying goes, "If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand".  There is oil to be changed, filters to change, and time to get the service manual out and figure out how to do simple things like changing fork oil, or brake pads.  A new seat will be needed for next season.  Also a luggage rack so that an extra helmet can be strapped on, or perhaps a simple pack of clothes.  Also need to make a few needed repairs.  An electrical problem, as well as a faulty gas gauge.  I am still planning a trip to Wyoming, but I may put that to the side a year if things work out a certain way.  Perhaps a second bike might just make its way into the garage.  If nothing else, a trip just to The Badlands would be just as fun.  Stay tuned, you never know whats next!




Sister Tara and Glenn


Kamilla the exchange student
from Norway. 

My cousin Deb and wife Mary Lou

Sister Rhonda

Rhonda's husband Steve
A "unique" perspective on him!


Aunt Barb.  Maybe I should put the
camera...down?
In the meantime, find something to be thankful for. Christmas and Hanukkah are here!!

Peace and Love!


Me at my drafting desk.


1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog...your sister and I share the same name :) Her huz is only a little furrier than mine.

    ReplyDelete